By Sam Griffith
Some interesting jazz news from the past two weeks. Grammy winners were announced in jazz categories, several musician interviews and a trailer to “The Connection” was on the New York Times page.
- Eddie Henderson is still going. Amazing all of the different musical movements he has been a part of.
- A trailer for the old, Jackie McLean-starring film “The Connection”. I’ve enjoyed the soundtrack for this particular show for many years (and highly reccommend it). I was’t aware of a film version, but I will begin actively seeking this out.
- Fonts created for/inspired by Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn. (via @tedgioia)
- A summary of the jazz winners from the 2015 Grammys. Chick Corea won (as well as Gordon Goodwin). I was a little glad to see Tony Bennett win (and for that victory to not be identified as “Jazz”).
- Duke Ellington sings. Its amazing the weird stuff we can still discover. (via @tedgioia)
- Ethen Iverson has collected some funny links of presidents and jazz.
- lee Konitz interviewed again. What a career. (via @tedgioia)
Let us know if we’ve missed anything!