By Sam Griffith
Well, we have this years jazz Grammy nominees. I used to enjoy the Grammy’s, the spectacle of it, but not much anymore. They do a fantastic job of recognizing jazz artists (Herbie! Maria Schneider!) and helping identify great young jazz artists (the Grammy in the schools program). But I don’t get jazz awards in general, especially at this level. Awarding someone who plays the best recorded solo? I don’t get it. Not sure there is ever a sastifying result. Plenty of other jazz news though including another jazz biopic (it seems like there is a new one every week!) and some jazz for the holidays.
- The Grammy nominees were announced. Here is who is nominated in the jazz category. We’ll write more about this later…. (via Downbeat)
- A biopic on the life of Nina Simone is set to be released next February. It is great that jazz is getting back into the mainstream. But seriously, when is the Coltrane movie gonna happen. WHEN! (via Jazztimes)
- How would Miles Davis feel about jazz nowadays? (via @tedgioia)
- An outstanding collection of Jazz Christmas albums. Jazz christmas albums are outstanding. (this is just a link to the homepage, which is updated almost every day, so if you are clicking this link on a day other than 12/8, you’ll have to scroll down to find them).
- An incredibly well-written article about jazz, innovation and economics. Many great points in here. I’ll probably have to read it about 7 more times though to get them all.
- Jazz in the Soviet Union.
- And finally, jazz is SO EASY that even hedgehogs play it when nobody is looking.
If we’ve missed something, let us know!