By Sam Griffith
Here is some interesting things that happened last week. Several (new?) bio-pics, some performances, a delightful Matt Wilson interview.
- Jason Moran wore a funny mask and performed a tribute to Fats Waller. But seriously, that mask is amazing. (from Downbeat)
- Matt Wilson describes the process of exploring the Avant-Garde as a drummer. Pretty awesome insight from a fantastic drummer. (from JazzTimes)
- Insight from Peter Erskine about the Whiplash movie. Great read for those who have seen the movie and want a great drummers opinion on it. (from KCET.org)
- Some articles about the new Buddy Bolden bio-pic that is currently in production. Jazz movies might be creeping towards the “in” thing to do. Apparently its possible to actually be in this movie, if you are into that sort of thing. (from Newsweek and Nola, via @tedgioia)
- A kickstarter-like campaign for the “Warne Marsh” movie. When will we get the Coltrane movie? When is that gonna happen!
- When they say this is “arguably the hottest” group to play at the Syracuse Jazz Festival, I’m not exactly sure what they mean… (via @tedgioia)
If we have missed something, let us know!