By Sam Griffith
Here is a run-down of some jazz-related new from the past week.
- Ravi Coltrane will be performing A Love Supreme with trumpet and guitar. Not sure where I stand with anyone performing A Love Supreme. It’s already been done. And not just done, but done perfectly.
- The pairing of clubs and record labels. Seems like a great idea, and one that is WAY overdure. How many of our best jazz records were recorded live at a specific jazz club? A lot.
- Ethiopian Jazz.
- Ella Fitzgerald as a teenager.
- Ethan Iverson gives us some insight into Paul Motion.
- And a slightly older article that I missed a few weeks ago about reenacting jazz performance note-for-note. Is this still jazz? Or does this become classical music? Maybe it’s not even classical music. I’m just not sure.
Let us know if we missed something fun.